Whole Wheat Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 60+ Minutes
Number of Servings: 4
8 Ounce Whole Wheat Noodles
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 Cup chicken broth
2 Ounce Mozzarella Cheese
2 Cup tomato sauce
2 Pound chicken breast
1 black pepper
1. Slice eggplants into rounds and sprinkle each slice with a little kosher salt.
2. Stack them up in a colander and place a heavy teapot (or something like that) on top. The salt will draw all the moisture out of the eggplant ensuring that it is sweet and creamy (not bitter) when you cook it up. I like to let it hang out anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes (depending on how much time I have).
3. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and drizzle with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in a 350 degree oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until done.
4. Cook pasta according to package. Drain and set aside.
5. Pat the eggplant dry and chop it into -1 inch cubes.
6. Heat olive oil in medium pan over a medium high. Add garlic and cook for about a minute before adding in eggplant and broth. Season with salt and pepper and pop a lid on. Let the eggplant simmer for ten or fifteen minutes or until it is creamy and tender.
7. Remove the lid from the eggplant and let all excess liquid evaporate out of the pan. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook until everything is heated through.
8. Toss pasta in the sauce and gently stir in the fresh mozzarella. Adjust seasonings and serve with chicken.