One of the things we teach at Healthy for Life is how to support your body with good nutrition to enable it to not only heal, but to also protect from disease, including viruses.
The immune system is a host defense system comprising many biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease.To function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, known as pathogens, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguish them from the organism's own healthy tissue. In many species, there are two major subsystems of the immune system: the innate immune system and the adaptive immune system.
There are currently over 100 auto-immune diseases currently in the world. There seems to be widespread agreement among the medical and scientific world they are cause by a compromised immune system rooted in the body being over run by toxins. Into this environment has emerged the Corona Virus. You see the challenge. Many people already have compromised immune systems ill-equipped to deal with this latest challenge. I am sure you have read this is especially true for those with chronic diseases. One of the reasons I have noticed in this dialogue is Prescription Medications are toxins. 70% of Americans are on 1 medication. 50% are on 2. 23% are on at least 3 and 20% are on 5 or more. Add to this the toxins in our air, water and food and you have a perfect storm. You have the power to do a lot about this. Here are a number of things for you to do. Our intent is having strong immune systems that do what they designed to do, keep you Healthy for Life. Here are a few things you can do to help boost your immune system:
1. Eat organic food. This keeps the herbicides, pesticides, colorings, preservatives, growth hormones, artificial this or that and antibiotics out of your body. Organic food has a second benefit. It supports the greatest filters ever seen, your liver and kidneys.
2. Sleep. Rebuild, regenerate, and lots of other re-words that support your body’s immune system and all its other functions, keeping you strong and healthy.
3. Exercise. Just moving keeps the body moving and does wonders for the immune system. Increased blood flow delivers more oxygen around your body which is essential for regeneration and immune function.
4. Nature. Fresh air, trees, water, and woods supports the body’s immune system. Get out in nature.
5. Reduce stress. Stress as you know compromises the immune system. Laughter, friends, walks, yoga, prayer, sex, exercise, sound baths, meditation, floating, have I missed yours, reduces stress and supports the immune system.
6. Probiotics. Maintaining the health of your gut is crucial because it is where the bulk of your immune system is located. This is especially true if you are a person on medications that deplete the microbiome and thus your immune system.
7. Parent Omega 6 oils. Recent medical journal articles shows evidence they contain an anti-viral component that helps the immune system defend against viruses, all viruses. Supplementing them daily is recommended as part of your strategy. Download the summary of the referenced articles.
8. Minerals. Minerals are essential to your body's health and they support the immune system.
9. Herbs That Strengthen the Immune System. The herbs in Healthy for Life’s Herbal Supplement have significant antioxidant and immunomodulatory properties. It’s believed that burdock root in can support detoxification by boosting functions of the lymphatic system, a part of the immune system that distributes infection-fighting white blood cells throughout the body. Here are a few benefits of the herbs in Herbal Supplement:
Burdock root (Arctium lappa L.) — This root vegetable contains volatile oils, plant sterols, tannins and fatty oils. One noteworthy compound it supplies is a lignin (Large group of polyphenols, plant-based substances known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties) called arctigenin, which is believed to inhibit cancer cell production. Other compounds in burdock have been shown to have diuretic effects and the ability to increase blood flow and help stabilize blood sugar.
Sheep sorrel (Rumex acetosella L.) — This ingredient contains anthraquinones, which research suggests can stimulate peristalsis in the gastrointestinal tract and increase the secretion of mucous. It may also have antiviral effects.
Slippery elm (Ulmus fulva) — It’s used to soothe sore throats and causes increased mucus secretions that lubricate the GI tract and protect the intestines (Your immune system is found in the gut)
Rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum L.) — As a rich source of antioxidants including polyphenols, flavonoids and tannins, it seems to help fight free radical damage.
Cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa) is a medicinal herb traditionally used to stimulate the immune system. Research has shown it boosts immune function, reduces inflammation, and helps with chemotherapy. This is the additional herb Healthy for Life has added to the original Essiac Tea.
10. Bone Broth contains all kinds of healthy compounds that support the immune system and overall health. We recommend Braised Bones brand.
11. Vitamin C. You knew this. Eat lots of vegetables and fruit high in this amazing vitamin.
12. Supplement with Vitamin D3 in the low sun months. Get out in the summer sun and the D3 is free, your body will make it!
These are a few things you can do to strengthen your immune system and maximize your health.